Fresh Arts is seeking submissions of original artwork, unique crafts, and handmade goods for its 12th Annual Winter Holiday Art Market (WHAM), November 17-19, 2017. In its mission to provide artists access to economic development and networking opportunities and to celebrate Houston’s diverse arts scene, Fresh Arts hosts WHAM, an annual juried 3-day exhibition and art festival each fall at Winter Street Studios in the First Ward Arts District.
Since its launch, WHAM has generated over 1,000,000 for hundreds of local artists and continues to grow as an important venue for Houston artists.
IMPORTANT DATES & DEADLINES:
- Deadline for WHAM submissions: Friday, August 25, 2017 by 11:59PM (do not call for results)
- Selected participants notified on: Friday, September 8
- Registration form and participation fees due: Monday, September 18, 2017
- Marketing fliers available for pick up at Fresh Arts by Early-October 2017
- WHAM Set-up and Preparation: Thu. Nov 16 (noon to 7pm) and Fri. Nov 18 (9am to 4pm)
PLEASE CAREFULLY REVIEW WHAM'S TERMS & CONDITIONS- then scroll to the bottom to complete the application form
- WHAM is open to ALL artists or artisans living within 50 (-ish) miles of Houston.
- Applicable art mediums include but are not limited to: all forms of FINE ART and ARTIST-MADE CRAFTS, including, but not limited to: paintings, sculpture, jewelry, stationery, soaps, handbags, clothing, furniture, ornaments, and other handcrafted, original goods.
- You do not have to have a business or tax permit.
- Artists will be selected on the basis of quality, type, and range of price points of merchandise and take into consideration those that best serve the interests of the local community, the market and our customers.
- Each application is subject to a $5 fee (this helps us pay our jury panelists).
- If you are accepted, this amount will be credited towards your participation fee (see PARTICIPATION FEES).
- There is an artist fee of $95 for registration which includes event management, marketing, and rentals/supplies (see ARTIST AMENITIES and SPACE & MATERIALS).
Fees are due by September 18, 2017. Do not send in registration fees until acceptance into WHAM has been confirmed.
- All sales are subject to a 75/25 split. Artists receive 75% of selling price, while 25% goes to Fresh Arts to cover remaining event costs. (NOTE: WHAM is powered by Fresh Arts, a non-profit. We are only looking to cover our costs and help you sell as much local art as possible.)
ARTIST VENDOR AMENITIES:
Each artist booth receives:
- booth space (min. dimensions approx. 10'w x6’d)
- 80 sq. feet (min.) of hang-able wall space
- one 8 ft x30" table and padded chair
- black table linens
- sales receipt books (upon request)
- free Wi-Fi
- access to electrical outlets (upon request)
- complimentary beverages and lite snacks
- Two complimentary guest tickets to the Friday Night Preview Party
Additionally, Fresh Arts provides all participants:
- WHAM event management, rental coordination, and extensive online and print marketing & PR.
- Marketing fliers and promotional assistance through email templates, logos, and graphics, etc.
- Artist "spotlights" via Fresh Arts social media channels.
- Sales tax exemptions through Fresh Arts' state sales permit (therefore, artists who might not already have a sales permit need not get their own).
- Fresh Arts is responsible for collecting and paying state sales tax on all WHAM transactions; however, artists are responsible for claiming sales on their yearly income tax reports.
SPACE & MATERIALS POLICY:
- For consistency and aesthetic purposes, artists must use the black linens provided by Fresh Arts; however, artists are encouraged to decorate & embellish their table/wall spaces freely and creatively.
- Freestanding racks and shelves are allowed for display purposes but must conform to the allotted space and are the responsibility of the artist.
- Artists may use wall space behind their table(s) to hang artwork, banners, and light weight shelves. (Nails and hooks into the sheetrock are fine. Wall anchors are not.)
- All display, hanging hardware, and packing materials are the artists’ responsibility. Artists must patch any holes or visible wall damage (materials will be provided).
- Depending on availability, WHAM artists may purchase an additional table and space for $50. Availability is not guaranteed and will be determined at least 3 weeks from WHAM.
- Fresh Arts will determine booth placement. Artists may not switch assigned tables. This is non-negotiable.
- Artists will have the opportunity to request special space needs (location preference, direct access to an electrical outlet, additional wall or floor space, etc.) via a Pre-WHAM Artist Survey. The Program Manager will do its best to accommodate such requests, but due to a large number of participants, we are not able to accommodate everyone's requests for placement.
LOAD IN/LOAD OUT POLICY:
- LOAD IN + SETUP is scheduled for THURSDAY, NOV. 16 from Noon to 7PM and FRIDAY, NOV. 17 from 9AM to 4PM.
You must be completely finished setting up by Friday at 4PM. No exceptions.
- Merchandise may be left overnight between setup and market days; however, the Artist does so at their own discretion. (Note: the building has interior and exterior security cameras. An off-duty police officer will patrol the building before securing and locking exterior doors at the end of each evening.)
- BREAKDOWN + LOAD OUT must be completed and the building vacated no later than 9PM the last day of the market.
- Friday, November 17, 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. (Ticketed Preview Party for patrons)
- Saturday, November 18, 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (FREE entry and TAX FREE shopping!)
- Sunday, November 19, 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (FREE entry and TAX FREE shopping!)
- Artists or other representatives are expected to be at their tables during all WHAM hours.
SALES & PAYMENT POLICY:
- All sales (and credit card fees) are subject to a 75/25 split. Transactions will be processed and tracked via Square. Accepted forms of payment: cash, check, American Express, MC and Visa.
- Each artist vendor must provide his or her own sales staff.
- Artists will be responsible for processing customer’s credit/debit card sales via Fresh Arts’ Square account (Square sales training will be provided). Dedicated volunteers will be on hand to assist Artists.
- Cash and Check sales will be made at the Fresh Arts' managed central check-out area. No exceptions.
- Credit/debit card transactions are subject to a 3% credit card fee. This credit card fee is subject to the same 75/25% split between the selling artist and Fresh Arts.
- Artist will receive payment from their sales within 10 business days of WHAM.
PAST SALES HISTORY:
In 2015, (our highest sales year ever) the average artist gross was $2,388; the highest was $4870.
- 36 out of 63 artists sold more than $2,000
- 26 artists sold more than $3,000
- 9 artists sold more than $4,000
In 2014, the average artist gross was $2,015; the highest was $5,246.
- 27 out of 61 artists sold more than $2,000
- 17 artists sold more than $3,000
- 7 artists sold more than $4,000
SALES & INCOME TAX:
- Fresh Arts has a Texas sales tax permit and will collect sales tax on sales and remit to the state. Artists are responsible for claiming their net sales on income tax statements.
- The 25% commission from sales underwrites the cost of administering WHAM and is NOT a tax-deductible donation to Fresh Arts.
- HOWEVER, participating artists and businesses may deduct the WHAM fees and commission as a business expense IF and only if the gross (full 100%) sales price is claimed in income tax reporting. Please consult with your accountant for clarification.
- Note: Fresh Arts hosts a FREE Artist Taxes workshop each February. All WHAM artists will receive a workshop invitation.