Fresh Arts is a Houston-based 501(c)3 organization that champions local artists and creative entreprenuers to succeed in the business of art.
CALL TO ARTISTS
Request for Qualifications for Outdoor Interactive Mural
Deadline to apply: Friday, December 9, 2022, 11:59 p.m. (CST) via Submittable
Honorarium, if selected to submit a proposal: $300
Applicant Notification: Friday, December 16, 2022 via email
Miller Theatre Advisory Board is seeking artists to commemorate Miller Outdoor Theatre’s 100th Anniversary with a series of collaborative community murals. Murals will be painted on temporary wall panels approximately 16ft x 8ft and live painted with community participation on designated community dates. Through the Request for Qualifications process, 6-8 finalists will be invited to submit design-specific mural proposals for consideration. Each finalist will receive a $300 honorarium for their design.
From the finalist pool, a total of four (4) artists will be selected and receive $5,000 each for their mural design and participation. If selected, artists are required to attend a press event (week of March 13th), lead a collaborative live painting event during one of four celebratory weekends in 2023 (a date for each artist will be assigned upon selection), and participate in promotional activities in close cooperation with Event Manager, Rukaz Kultura. In addition to the $5,000 honorarium, Miller Theatre Advisory Board will cover the cost of the supplies and labor to install the temporary walls and coordinate logistics for live painting events.
Submissions will be accepted through Friday, December 9, 2022, by 11:59 pm. Applications may only be submitted online via the Submittable portal. Applicants will be asked to provide an artist bio, artist resume, relevant work sample that demonstrates the artist’s ability to successfully complete the project, if selected), and an image list. Applicants will be notified of a decision by email through the Submittable portal on December 16, 2022, by 5 pm CST.
Questions regarding this application should be directed to Fresh Arts, email@example.com
- Mural Type: Free-standing mural panels, for temporary outdoor display*.
- Location: Mural to be painted on-site at a designated location at Miller Outdoor Theatre. Prior to the live painting day, artists will have the ability to access the panels at least one week in advance to prep and sketch.
- Size: Approximately 16ft x 8ft (exact size subject to change).
*Miller Outdoor Theatre assumes the responsibility for constructing and installing the panels.
A Selection Committee will review the qualifications of applicant artists and make recommendations to Miller Theatre Advisory Board. The Selection Committee will include local artists, project partners and may include members of the Miller Theatre Advisory Board and/or Miller Outdoor Theatre representatives. Selections will be based on the following criteria:
- Artistic excellence: Submitted images demonstrate the caliber of the artist(s) previous work and artistic style.
- Experience: Work samples and/or CV demonstrate that the Artist has the capabilities to accomplish a large-scale public project.
- Responsiveness: The application clearly communicates the artist’s interest in the project and aligns with the overall goals of the project as well as the core values of Miller Outdoor Theatre—including incorporating references to Miller Outdoor Theatre’s 100-year legacy—engaging and inspiring the community.
- Age 18 or older
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Local artists living within a 50-mile radius of Houston, TX are eligible to apply
- Candidates are eligible regardless of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender identification, military status, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical ability.
- Neither Board Members nor family members of the Miller Theatre Advisory Board are eligible to apply. Additionally, employees or family members of Fresh Arts are not eligible to apply.
- WHAT MAY NOT BE FUNDED - The funding for this project is made possible by Miller Theatre Advisory Board. This project is to take place at a selected location at Miller Outdoor Theatre. This project may not include obscene or profane material as defined in Section 43.21, Penal Code of Texas. https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.43.htm
- Contact information: Required information includes name, email address, mailing address, and cell phone
- Create an Artist Profile on the Fresh Arts Artist Registry at https://freshartsregistry.org/
- Letter of Interest: Describe your interest in this project and your capacity to meet the overall goals of the project.
- Artist Resume/CV: No more than 3 pages
- completed (as applicable), dimensions, and material/medium
- Artist Statement: 250 words maximum
- Relevant Work Samples: Up to ten (10) images of prior works that demonstrate your artistic style, the caliber of your work, and the ability to successfully complete the project (work samples may be studio work and/or completed mural projects, if applicable)
- Image List: include Artist name(s), title, and date
- Provide answers to the following prompts:
- Have you participated in live painting and/or a community participation mural? If yes, please describe the activity.
- Briefly share memories or past experiences at Miller Outdoor Theatre.
- Friday, December 9, 2022, 11:59 PM: RFQ due via Submittable
- Friday, December 16, 2022, by 5 pm: RFQ artist notification. Finalists are invited to submit mural proposals.
- Sunday, January 22, 2023, 11:59 PM: Finalist proposals due
- Friday, January 27, 2023: Artist notification
- Wednesday, February 1, 2023: Signed contract and artist marketing materials due
If selected for the mural commission, the artist must be available to attend:
- Press event (Ribbon Cutting) the week of March 13 – 17th (likely March 14th)
- 2-hour presence requested (exact time TBD, sometime between the hours of 3p-8p.
- Celebratory weekends (Collaborative live painting events)
Designated artist must be available 3:30P – 8:00P (Setup: 3:30p – 4:30, Event timeframe: 5:00p-8:00p)
- March 18th – Event Theme: 1920s with Swing Dance Band the Hot Sardines. Activities will include Roaring 20s/Vaudeville/Jazz/1920s sideshow circus
- May 12th – Birthday weekend. Cake distribution and PR activity
- July 14 & July 15th – Ode to Theatre theme, kids Theatre activities. Stage programming includes Theatre Under the Stars (TUTS) Retrospective
- November 18th - Steam Punk theme, a celebration of invention and innovation. Stage programming includes Earth Harp & Bella Gaia
Additionally, selected artists must participate in the following promotional activities:
- Provide headshot, promotional photos, and bio (due by February 1, 2023)
- Available to attend the Press event the week of March 13th
- Share anniversary promotional flyers
- Artist announcement flyer – (timing: likely late February or Early March)
- Share event flyer
- 2 weeks prior to artist’s assigned event date
- 1 week to artist’s assigned event date
- Week-of to artist’s assigned event date
- 1 post on Facebook
- 1 post on Instagram
- 1 post on Tik Tok (if artist already has a Tik Tok Account)
- 1 story share the week-of on Instagram
- 1 story shared day prior to event
- *must reshare a minimum of 3 stories in which artist is tagged by Miller Outdoor Theatre or Rukaz Kultura
PLEASE NOTE: This schedule is subject to change.
Any questions pertaining to this RFQ should be submitted in writing—via email—no later than 5 p.m. (CST), Thursday, December 8, 2022, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Required subject line: “Miller Outdoor Theatre Mural RFQ”.
Questions regarding this application should be directed to Fresh Arts, email@example.com
ABOUT MILLER OUTDOOR Theatre:
Miller Outdoor Theatre turns 100 in 2023, and in celebration of its 100th year, Miller Outdoor Theatre will be offering a season full of big, experiential performances. The 2023 season will also include 3 special celebration dates with exciting pre-show activities, entertainment, collaborative art, and workshops.
As the only FREE, open-air Theatre in the city of Houston and the state of Texas, Miller Outdoor Theatre offers access to quality performing arts to those for which accessibility to the arts is limited by cost, scheduling, or family-friendliness. This access is important to the overall Houston performing arts community as it can be an introduction to specific disciplines and the portal to a lifelong love of performing arts. Annually, MOT is host to 125 – 130 shows with 250,000 – 300,000 Houston residents and visitors in attendance.
Before you apply, please read the Fiscal Sponsorship FAQs and schedule a meeting with the Fiscal Sponsorship Coordinator before the 15th of the month by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications have a quarterly deadline on the 1st of February, May, August, and November. Please check your eligibility via the questions below. Also, note that in order for your application to be reviewed by our committee, you must pay the $100.00 non-refundable application fee. To pay your fee, please visit our payment page.
Currently, fiscal sponsorship applications are reviewed quarterly by a special committee, whose recommendations are subject to approval by the Fresh Arts board of directors. Please allow adequate time for the approval process before beginning to raise funds for your project.
(If you already have a budget, mission statement, and project description prepared, the application should take roughly 30-45 minutes.)
This form is an annual requirement for all fiscally sponsored projects at Fresh Arts to process their renewal. Answers should reflect the year covered by your most recent contract. This form is due no later than the 1st of the month in which your agreement with Fresh Arts ends, and will be sent to you the month prior to your renewal. Failure to submit this form will put a hold on your fiscal sponsorship and funds will be withheld until submitted. If you have any questions, please contact Fresh Arts' Fiscal Sponsorship Manager, Julia Barbosa Landois at: email@example.com.
After submitting this form, don't forget to pay the $100 renewal fee here. Submission of the renewal form and fee are required to process a new fiscal sponsorship contract.