Fresh Arts is a Houston-based 501(c)3 organization that champions local artists and creative entreprenuers to succeed in the business of art.
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
Deadline to apply: Monday, August 22, 2022, 11:59 p.m. (CST)
Artist/Designer Honorarium: $1,000
Applicant Notification: August 30, 2022 via email
Midtown Houston Cultural Arts and Entertainment District is seeking artists and or graphic designers to create an original, uniquely inspired design for the iconic Midtown sign honoring Hispanic Heritage Month in Houston (Sept 15 - Oct 15, 2022). The selected artist will receive $1,000 for their design and participation. Design should reflect how Houston fits into the history of the Hispanic Culture. The work must be your own. We cannot accept appropriated work.
The selected design will be turned into a large-scale temporary public art display and digitally printed on 3M Vinyl Wrap and professionally wrapped on the 3D letters of the Midtown Sign in Bagby Park, located at 415 Gray Street in Bagby Park in Midtown Houston. The design will be on view from Friday, September 9 through Monday, October 17, 2022.
The sign wrap will be printed and installed by a third party and installed on September 9, 2022. The selected artist will be required to participate in a professionally recorded on site interview from 4-8pm on installation day to talk about their work and the inspiration that fueled their design. The artist talk will be held in conjunction with a happy hour and mariachi entertainment. This interview will be made available on Midtown Houston social media.
In addition to the $1,000 honorarium, the Midtown Cultural Arts District will cover the entire cost of the supplies and labor to install the project and pay for professional photography/video, marketing and promotion of the project AND the artist. The selected artist is not responsible for any fees or expenses for installation.
Applicants will be asked to upload their proposed design (up to four attachments); describe how their design honors the cultural heritage of the Houston Hispanic community; and provide up to four relevant work samples. Interested applicants are encouraged to do a site visit and view the current installation for an understanding of the size and scale of the project.
Applications will be reviewed by an independent panel which will include Midtown Houston representatives and selected through a blind voting process.
Submissions will be accepted from July 21 through August 22, 2022. All artists will be notified of their application status on August 30, 2022 by email through the Submittable portal. The selected artist will be asked to provide a final print-ready design by September 4, 2022.
Acceptable design files for the application process include PDF and JPEG; however, the final design must be provided in high resolution PDF format. The selected artist will be given approximately 4 days from the date of notification to provide the final print ready design.
The attached template is for artists to use to create designs on the midtown sign. Do not change the size of the template, it is already to scale.
The sign consists of the word “midtown” in metal/ steel letters that are approximately 8 feet tall and span approximately 81 ft across a raised concrete stage. There are multi color LED lights below each letter that are turned on nightly. We encourage you to do a site visit and view the sign for an understanding of the size and scale of the project.
Design Tip: The best design fits on the letters. Keep that in mind when designing the artwork.
The Midtown letters face wrap is 3M Vinyl Wrap. It is a full color digital print produced with OEM Mimaki Inks with True Solvent UV non fading inks 3M IJ180-V3 with 3M Matching Lamination ControlTac Technology. This will be professionally installed by certified technicians.
Interested applicants are highly encouraged to do a site visit and view the current installation for an understanding of the size and scale of the project.
** SIGN SPECS:
** SIGN TEMPLATE (PDF):
- Sign template included
- 1:10 scale
- 720 dpi (effects/gradients)
- Please leave 0.5 in. bleed all around”
- Please note the Midtown logo above the letter “i’” will not be covered with any artwork and it should not be included as part of the artwork or wrap process.
- On the letter “n” at the bottom right leg of the letter the #midtownhouston must appear.
- The artist must include their signature on their work.
- Midtown Cultural Arts District will include a QR Code on the bottom right leg of the letter “n”, the QR Code will link to the artist’s website which will include an artist’s bio, the artistic statement about the meaning of the sign, what the images on the sign represent and a short paragraph of information about the Midtown Cultural Arts District.
- The artist must be available on Friday, September 9, 2022, from 4PM to 8M to participate in the art installation and an artist’s talk. We encourage you to bring your family, friends, and work associates. There will be professional photography and video of the artist’s talk.
- Age 18 or older
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Local Houston artists and or graphic designers are eligible to apply
- Candidates are eligible regardless of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender identification, military status, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical ability.
- The artistic work or design must be your original work. You may not submit other people’s work.
- One design per artist or designer please. If we receive more than one application all applications will be removed.
- Neither Board Members or family members of the Midtown Management District, the Midtown Cultural Arts and Entertainment District, the Midtown Redevelopment Authority, TIRZ #2 or the Midtown Parks Conservancy are eligible to apply. Additionally, employees or family members related to Arts District (Fresh Arts) or their Board of Directors; Got Signs -by Xtickers Designs Inc.– employees or family members are also NOT eligible to apply.
WHAT MAY NOT BE FUNDED - The funding for this project is made possible by the Midtown Management District. This project is to take place in the Midtown Houston community at Bagby Park. It may not be virtual in nature. This project may not include obscene or profane material as defined in Section 43.21, Penal Code of Texas. https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.43.htm
- Application period: July 21 - August 22, 2022
- Notification: August 30, 2022
- Final Design due: September 4, 2022
- Sign Installation*: September 9, 2022
- Artist Talk: September 9 2022, 4-8PM
* Installation by Got Signs - by Xtickers Designs Inc
ABOUT MIDTOWN HOUSTON:
Midtown Houston is a bustling inner-city community with prominent cultural landmarks, with vibrant walkable neighborhoods. Midtown received a Cultural Arts and Entertainment District designation from State of Texas Commission on the Arts in 2012. Since that time, we have experienced exponential growth in our business, residential and cultural arts community with more than 90 arts organizations and four parks, we truly are the center of it all. Annually we host two flagship events Midtown Mistletoe Market and Midtown Art in the Park. We have also distributed $91,000 as part of our midtownHOU Arts Micro Grants Program to local artists and arts organizations.
Additional information about Midtown Houston:
- Our Cultural Arts Entertainment Guide and Map
- Our 10-Year Cultural Arts Master Plan
- Virtual Midtown Art in the Park 2021
Questions regarding this application should be directed to Fresh Arts, email@example.com
Applicants will be notified of a decision by email through the Submittable portal on August 30, 2022.
This form is an annual requirement for all fiscally sponsored projects at Fresh Arts to process their renewal. Answers should reflect the year covered by your most recent contract. This form is due no later than the 1st of the month in which your agreement with Fresh Arts ends, and will be sent to you the month prior to your renewal. Failure to submit this form will put a hold on your fiscal sponsorship and funds will be withheld until submitted. If you have any questions, please contact Fresh Arts' Fiscal Sponsorship Manager, Julia Barbosa Landois at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
After submitting this form, don't forget to pay the $100 renewal fee here. Submission of the renewal form and fee are required to process a new fiscal sponsorship contract.